Academy Class - In-Person / Customized / Wine
For anyone looking to host a customized WINE tasting/training class for themselves, friends, or to give as a gift.
This option is for an in-person session with up to 6 student attendees.
For additional students, please the additional item tab and add the total number to your cart. Each student is $25 additional.
Wine is not included in this price and will be an additional fee based on the style and type of class you choose. Please read the notes below regarding this before purchasing.
This price is valid for any class request within the State of Connecticut. Outside this region, an additional fee will be applied depending on the distance and other requirements, such as lodging, etc.
Please feel free to reach out to Brian Mitchell before purchasing your tasting to discuss details and FAQs.
Academy Classes or Trainings can be customized to suit your needs. Please see our starter suggested list below, but understand that we are very flexible depending on your needs and requests.
Classes are typically approximately 90 minutes and will cover the course topic in detail as well as any tasting related to the subject matter.
The basic Academy Class is $300, and is available for students and groups of any size.
- For In-Person classes of 6 or more students you must use the Additional Attendee(s) item and added the number of students above 6 that will be attending.
- For Virtual Delivery classes of 12 or more students you must use the Additional Attendee(s) item and added the number of students above 6 that will be attending.
- For classes needing more than approximately 90 minutes, additional fees will be applied at the rate of $75/hour
Wine, Beer, or Spirits are not included in the Academy Class cost.
We work with a number of beverage retail operators and can build a list for your class that can either be shipped to you (where legal), or available for you to acquire ahead of your class. These details should be discussed with Brian Mitchell upon booking your class.
We can come to you - The Academy Class price is valid for anywhere in the state of Connecticut. For Classes beyond this, additional travel fees will apply. If you have a location available for the event we will be happy to accommodate the request as long as there is good access and free parking available. If a location is needed to host an event, then we will work with you to secure an adequate location. The host is responsible for any room rental fees and clean-up costs related to the event.
You can come to us - NEWA works with several locations in the Hartford area that are suitable for tasting groups of up to approximately 25. Additional room rental fees will apply, per customized rate.
- NEWA will provide appropriate glassware for in-person classes up to 6 people. Beyond this a rental fee for glassware will apply.
- For larger groups and customizations - all details should be discussed ahead of booking your session.
- Invoicing is available.
- All class costs and fees are due 5 working days prior to the start of the event. Any cancellation less than 5 days from the event date will result in a 50% refund of fees paid.
- NEWA does retain the right to decline an event, or cancel an event with reason 5 working days prior to the event date. If we cancel we will refund 100% of fees paid.
- In the event of a weather or other unforeseen issue, NEWA will work with the client to reschedule at the earliest possible convenience.
- We do not refund for no-show attendees.
Suggested list of Customized Academy Class themes
These can be delivered in a fun and casual manner for students and attendees at any level of drinks knowledge. These are only starting points as we can customize around your interests...
Wine - often people want to know about wine styles, grapes, tasting techniques and label terminology. Some of the more requested themes include Italian, French and Spanish wine regions, Understanding European Wine Labels,, and the differences between wines made in traditional European regions and wine made in New World regions. We also get many course requests for classes that take a deep dive into certain grapes and wine making styles. Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Riesling, etc. - these can be a lot of fun to explore examples from different regions around the globe.
Beer - similar to the wine classes above, there are almost an endless number of beer related themes that can make for easy and enjoyable classes around beer topics. Understanding how beer is made and the differences between Ales and Lagers is a particularly popular topic. We can also explore the use of hops in various styles, comparing the traditional and craft influences on their use is great fun. There is also a call for classes around the understanding of lesser-known beer styles, such as lambic, gose, and kolsch.
Spirits - and again there is an almost limitless number of topics that can be presented in the spirits world. Some of the most popular revolve around understanding whiskey styles and comparison tastings, learning how the raw material and processing of those materials can have a major influence on style and quality, and then there are category knowledge busters with a deeper dive into certain topics such as Single Malt Whiskey, High Ester Caribbean Rum, and understanding tequila and mezcal. Plus we can also do Cocktail demos and mixology focused seminars for those looking to up their bar-skills-game.
These are simply some suggestions and jumping off points. Let us know what you are thinking and we can help build a fun and entertaining experience.